Hands Across the Sea - Mary Ann Ragg, 1826 Soie d'Alger Thread Kit
Mary Ann Ragg, 1826 is another delightful antique sampler from Hands Across the Sea.
Mary Ann stitched her sampler mainly with cross stitch over two threads of linen. The verse and dedication have been worked with cross stitch over one thread of linen. The sampler has been rated as suitable for all levels of ability.
Kit Options :
Choice of purchasing thread only, printed chart only OR as full kit.
Full Kit options:
Full Kit options:
- 37 ct option for 1 strand: Includes linen of choice, Printed Chart Booklet + 18 skeins of Soie d'Alger threads and 2 Tapestry Size 26 Needles (Gift with Purchase + Free Shipping)
- 30 ct option for 2 strands : Includes linen of choice, Printed Chart Booklet + 28 skeins of Soie d'Alger threads and 2 Tapestry Size 26 Needles (Gift with Purchase + Free Shipping)
- 30 ct Fat Half of Victoria Sponge Cake - 35" x 36"
- 37 ct Fat Half of Corn Tassel - 35" x 36"
- 38 ct Fat Half of Fuller's Teazel - 35" x 36"
Au Ver a Soie®, Soie d'Alger kit Includes:
- SDF 134 ~ Turquoise ~ dark
- SDF 543 ~ Straw
- SDF 934 ~ Burnt orange ~ red
- SDF 2146 ~ Olive green ~ very dark
- SDF 2212 ~ Golden olive ~ light
- SDF 2243 ~ Golden olive (2 skeins for 30 ct version)
- SDF 2645 ~ Christmas red (3 skeins for 30 ct version)
- SDF 2942 ~ Salmon
- SDF 3046 ~ Mauve ~ dark
- SDF 3446 ~ Pewter grey ~ very dark (3 skeins for 30 ct version)
- SDF 3735 x 2 ~ Avocado green ~ very dark (5 skeins for 30 ct version)
- SDF 4226 ~ Brown ~ very light
- SDF 4246 ~ Hazelnut brown ~ very dark
- SDF 4635 ~ Antique mauve ~ medium dark
- SDF 5025 ~ Blue green ~ very dark (2 skeins for 30 ct version)
- SDF 5384 ~ Blue green ~ medium
- SDF F07 ~ Tan ~ ultra very light (2 skeins for 30 ct version)
***Please note, this item is excluded from any discounts or sales.
About the Sampler from Nicola Parkman:
"Mary Ann Ragg recorded that she was 12 years old in 1826 when she finished her sampler. However, this is not the only clue to her identity that she left behind. The pastoral scene, red building, mature cedar trees, birds, and cartouche are characteristic to samplers stitched in the city of Sheffield.
Several years ago, Hands Across the Sea Samplers reproduced another sampler that was stitched in Sheffield, Elizabeth Furniss. Whilst researching this sampler, we discovered five girls who stitched very similar samplers. They all lived within 1 square mile of each other; in the ensuing years we found several more.
Many of these girls were baptised in the Cathedral of St Peter and St Paul. We believe that the girls shared the same needlework teacher, and all probably attended Darnall School (assuming that the teacher taught in the same school between 1816 and 1844)."